Subject: Re: Integrate aperture driver?
To: Andrew Brown <atatat@atatdot.net>
From: Jason R Thorpe <thorpej@zembu.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 06/13/2001 14:44:52
On Wed, Jun 13, 2001 at 05:24:58PM -0400, Andrew Brown wrote:

 > no, i understand completely.  i just think that the use of the
 > aperture driver to support running the x server at securelevel 1 is
 > better then just running at securelevel -1.  it's like the file flags,
 > which are ultimately just another level of obfuscation.

Personally, I would rather people *KNOW*, by having to set the system
to "insecure mode", that the XFree86 software is terrible, from a security
standpoint.  By having the aperture driver, you're glossing over the
fundamental problem, and so poeple who don't know what it does may not
realize that they're opening a security hole on their system.

--
        -- Jason R. Thorpe <thorpej@zembu.com>