Subject: Re: Problems getting Win98 running under VMware on a NetBSD 1.5U system
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Duncan McEwan <duncan@mcs.vuw.ac.nz>
List: port-i386
Date: 06/13/2001 13:38:47
> From:  Atsushi Onoe <onoe@sm.sony.co.jp>
> Date:  Wed, 13 Jun 2001 09:31:29 +0900 (JST)
>
> Hmm.  I think that the problem is around wiring mmap'ed page whose
> corresponding block on file system is not actually allocated yet.
>
> Here is a summary what vmware does:

Thanks for this detective work.  I don't know enough of the kernel internals to
know all the implications of what you describe.  Can you say whether this is
consistent with what I am seeing - which is vmware apparently working fine for
most of the installation of Windows 98 and then wedging shortly before it goes
to reboot the virtual machine?

> And it semms that it works again on current after I changed the behavior
> of ftruncate() in linux emulation to allocate file system block when its
> file size increases.

Do you have a patch that I can try to see if that works for me?

Duncan