Subject: Re: Window Maker - 0.65
To: None <dkwok@iware.com.au>
From: Masao Uebayashi <uebayasi@orchid.plala.or.jp>
List: port-i386
Date: 06/12/2001 22:51:59
> I have used the pkg_add to WindowMaker. However when I installed another
> package, it needs a newer version of another package and with all this
> dependency, I finally upgraded the package required This also means that
> I mucked window maker. Ok that is fine. I looked through the pkgsrc and
> could not find window maker at all. Not being scared off by this
> inconvienence I went to Window Maker.org and download the src and
> compile it myself.

How about 'pkg_info windowmaker'? If it fails, 'pkg_info -a' lists up
all the packages installed on your system.

> But I still have problem when I tried to run it. The error message is
> that it could not locate ../wrlib/.lib/libwraster.so. I looked up the
> FAQ, it instructed me to do ldconfig -m /usr/local/lib to merge the
> /usr/local/lib so that the program can find the link library.

ldconfig is for a.out systems. If your box is ELF, it is not required
to run.

> However it still does not work?? I did ldd wmaker. It says that it could
> not find libwraster.so plus lXpm.4, lXext.6 and lX11.6. Now it is really
> confusing to me, an accountant, who just does not like windoz and
> bravely hopped into this wonderful unix world. Now so much whinging.
> Could anyone give me some hints?

You have to teach the executable program (wmaker) where it should look
up shared libraries (*.so) at runtime time. (These directories are
called as 'runpath'.) This can be done by passing '-R/foo/bar' to the
linker.

If libXpm is in /usr/X11R6/lib and libwraster in /usr/pkg/lib, you
should do like:

  gcc -Wl,-R/usr/X11R6/lib,-L/usr/X11R6/lib,-lXpm -Wl,-R/usr/pkg/lib,-L/usr/pkg/lib,-lwraster ...

And and you can pass these messy parameter through 'configure' script.

  env LDFLAGS=" -Wl,-R/usr/pkg/lib,-L/usr/pkg/lib" sh configure

This will work if you are lucky.

Regards,
Masao