Subject: Re: Problems getting Win98 running under VMware on a NetBSD 1.5U
To: None <duncan@mcs.vuw.ac.nz>
From: Atsushi Onoe <onoe@sm.sony.co.jp>
List: port-i386
Date: 06/11/2001 23:39:56
> So, has anyone successfully installed Windows 98 on this combination of VMware
> (2.0.4-1142) and NetBSD (1.5U).  I realise that the patches available from
> Wasabi Systems were done for a slightly earlier version of VMware and also an
> earlier NetBSD-current.  I did apply the additional patch posted by Atsushi
> Onoe to current-users on the 28th May.

The patch is apparently insufficient to work, though something is better
than before.  And possible workaround, not the right thing, would be
	- remove PRELE() from my patch (prevent from swapped out)
	- skip pages with wire_count != 0 in uvm_mk_pcluster().

But my win98 on vmware and 1.5W still has several problems, which includes:
	- some process (powerpoint, netscape, ...) exit abnormally on win98.
	- hangup win98 (vmware process can exit normally)
	- vmware dumps core with SIGBUS? (sig#7 on linux)

I put some debug printf to netbsd version of host.c from wasabi systems,
and found:
	- vmware creates hidden temporary file on /tmp, use mmap and
	  uvm_pagewire() (via vmmon) to allocate it as a 'memory' for VM.
	- vpn-mpn mappings for locked page are sometimes lost.
		- large process (netscape, acroread) on NetBSD causes
		  the problem?
		- this is obviously wrong, at least for vmware.
		- vmware dumps core in this case.
	- the mappings seems to be correct, but still something is wrong.
		- win98 hangup, process on win98 exit abnormally

I still need to investigate what vmware requires to the VM...

Atsushi Onoe