Subject: Disk performance
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Julio Merino <juli@merino.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 06/11/2001 13:55:31
Hi all,

first of all, hello everybody cos I'm new to this list.

I've been playing around with NetBSD for some days, and doing
some tests of disk speed compared to FreeBSD. Also, I've done
this tests with soft dependancies enabled and disabled and some of
the results are this (btw, I've used the same disk partition for
both operating systems and the same files).

I've been used the /usr/src directory that is about 320 mb.
A rm -rf /usr/src in NetBSD without soft-dependancies needs about
2.5 minutes, and with soft-dependancies 5.3 minutes... I can't
understand this; soft-dependancies should improve disk speed,
isn't it?? (FreeBSD speeds are 10 minutes and 1.13 respectively)

The other test has been to uncompress a tarred file (not gzipped)
with the contents of the /usr/src. This time, soft-dependancies
have improved the time access about half a minute, but not more.

Another thing... a du /usr/src takes several minutes, and in FreeBSD
it takes about only one minute.

What's happening??

Thanks in advance.

PS: Sorry for all my comparisions with FreeBSD :p

PS 2: Btw, a make world in FreeBSD needs about 4 hours in my machine
and a make build in NetBSD only 3... and the /usr/src size is bigger
in NetBSD... surprising ;-)