Subject: Re: Plex86
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Mario Kemper <magick@zhadum.de>
List: port-i386
Date: 06/10/2001 11:24:16
davidkwok <dkwok@iware.com.au> writes:

>   Has anyone have experience with Plex86?
>
> I read that it has been ported to NetBSD by Wasabi System. However,
> the news at Wasabi and Plex86 web site is at best scatchy.
>

> I hate to use windoz but still have 3 work software that has to be
> used under windoz environment. VMware is expansive and slow. Is Plex86
> any better? I know Wine is hopeless and its develepment is very slow.
>

> So how can I find out more about how to install Plex86 on NetBSD1.5.1_Beta2?

plex86 is not usable for end users at the moment. At least the developers
keep on telling this everyone who wants to know if they can run something on
it.

vmware is stable and fast, so if have the power to run vmware, it's probably
the best choice.

bochs emulates the cpu while vmware executes native code, so bochs is way
slower than vmware. But if you have enough CPU poweryou might try it. At least
it's for free.

Someone mentioned on one of the lists, that he almost got wine working. But i
haven't heard anything from him since then.

--
Mario Kemper
magick@bundy.zhadum.de