Subject: Re: Quick and Dirty Router
To: Jenkins, Graham K \[IBM GSA\] <Graham.K.Jenkins@team.telstra.com>
From: Kevin P. Neal <kpneal@pobox.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 06/08/2001 21:58:08
On Fri, Jun 08, 2001 at 12:39:49PM +1000, Jenkins, Graham K [IBM GSA] wrote:
> Thanks David - but my quick browse suggests that this
> thing still writes to a hard disk while operating - which
> presents a risk of reboot failure after a power outage.
>
> True ??

Hmmm, funny this should come up.

I was out of the state all last week. I got hit by a power surge that
took out my 486SX/33 (firewall). When I got back home and could mess
with the machine I got a BIOS error on boot: "BIOS memory size
mismatch". I thought my box was toast.

Rearranging the SIMMs brought the box back, lucky for me. I don't
actually *know* if it was a power surge, but it's a reasonable guess.
I need to replace this box, and soon. Grumble.

Anyway, filesystem errors are not really a serious concern of mine
(even before my trip) since that box doesn't really *do* anything
to the filesystems except misc logging.

"Nonbelievers found it difficult to defend their position in \
    the presense of a working computer." -- a DEC Jensen paper