Subject: Re: Quick and Dirty Router
To: Jenkins, Graham K \[IBM GSA\] <Graham.K.Jenkins@team.telstra.com>
From: Laine Stump <lainestump@rcn.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 06/08/2001 00:34:06
"Jenkins, Graham K \[IBM GSA\]" <Graham.K.Jenkins@team.telstra.com> writes:

> Thanks David - but my quick browse suggests that this
> thing still writes to a hard disk while operating - which
> presents a risk of reboot failure after a power outage.
>
> True ??

Maybe if you were running that Penguin thingy...

If a NetBSD system experiences a power failure, it will just spend a
bit of extra time fsking the disk as it comes back up, but will
otherwise operate normally. As long as you don't mount your disks
asynchronous, a fsck failure is *extremely* rare (I have *never*
encountered a fsck failure after a power outage or manual reset).