Subject: Re: Problems with Xircom ethernet card on i386 laptop
To: maximum entropy <entropy@tappedin.com>
From: Gregory McGarry <g.mcgarry@ieee.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 06/07/2001 09:16:56
maximum entropy wrote:

> Later I tried to upgrade the kernel to 1.5.1_BETA2 from the recent
> snapshot.  When I did that I started getting really slow network
> performance, and lots of messages saying:
> Jun  5 17:51:45 panic /netbsd: xi0: discarding oversize frame (len=1518)
>
> I then tried -current from the recent 1.5V snapshot, and it also
> misbehaves there in the same way.
>
> I don't think the xi driver is completely to blame, since...
> cvs diff -u -rnetbsd-1-5-RELEASE -rnetbsd-1-5-BETA2 if_xi.c
> ...shows no changes, and the lossage seems to have been introduced
> between those two tags.

This problem was reported recently on another list.  I briefly
looked into it - the message is machine-dependent, but it really
is a problem in the way xi works.  Maybe something it do with
the vlan integration?

I have some patches for the xi driver to deal with broken
multicast (and hence fix IPv6 support).  I am also looking
at data alignment problems and problems with the Realport
cards not finding the PHY.

I have tested the driver with a CreditCard 10/100 before
and it worked correctly.  My Creditcard 10 is currently
working on an early 1.5 vintage system.

I'll look into it.

	-- Gregory McGarry <g.mcgarry@ieee.org>