Subject: Re: Problems getting Win98 running under VMware on a NetBSD 1.5U system
To: None <duncan@mcs.vuw.ac.nz>
From: Brad Spencer <brad@anduin.eldar.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 06/06/2001 15:59:01
[snip]

   I put a bootable Win/98 install CD in my CD drive and the installation
   process starts off OK.  It formats my (virtual!) C: drive, reboots the VM,
   runs scandisk (which reports no problems) and then starts the Windows 98
   setup program.

[snip]

   Duncan

I can't help much, but with a NetBSD/1.5.1_BETA, I was completely
unsuccessful in booting a "system" MS-WINDOWS 98 floppy under VMware [one
created on another MS-WINDOWS 98 box, with what should be a generic ATAPI
CDROM driver].  It hung trying to get to the COMMAND.COM prompt [after
hanging trying to probe devices that didn't exist, those are simple to
remove from the config.sys file, however].  I didn't have a MS-WINDOWS 98
bootable CD to try.  I was successful in getting MS-WINDOWS 2000, NetBSD,
Mandrake Linux, FreeBSD [at least the install disk boots], and FreeDOS
working, however.

I also could not get DR-DOS to work, although that might be a VMware bug.
The VMware process core dumps....

Watch out trying to run more then one VMware session at a time.  That
locks the entire system up nearly every time.  Also watch out shutting
down certain virtual machines.  MS-WINDOWS 2000, at least, will hang the
VMware process hard, and will ultimatly hang your system.  It appears that
the VMware process does not like to be paged out.  Perhaps there is some
sort of deadlock when that occurs.

Brad Spencer - brad@anduin.eldar.org
http://anduin.eldar.org  - & -  http://anduin.ipv6.eldar.org [IPv6 only]
[finger brad@anduin.eldar.org for PGP public key]