Subject: Re: ZIP Drives (was: RE: SCSI host adaptors)
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Thomas Mueller <tmueller@bluegrass.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 06/06/2001 02:43:24
From David Woyciesjes:

---FWIW, I have, and used, an internal SCSI ZIP-100 drive, an external SCSI
> ZIP-100, and an external paralell port ZIP-100. Although I haven't (yet)
> used any in NetBSD though, only Windoze...

How many pins did the SCSI connection have on the internal Zip 100?

I only had the external SCSI Zip drives: 100 MB when they were first released,
then 250 MB when the Zip 100 quit working, just short of Iomega's release date
for the Zip 250.  It was well past the warranty on the Zip 100 drive.  I have
read and written from DOS, OS/2 and Linux, though I haven't (yet) used any file
system other than the factory-formatted DOS file system on a Zip disk.  Linux
sees the Zip disk as /dev/sda4 (or /dev/sdb4 if there is one other SCSI non-CD
drive with lower SCSI ID).  If a Zip disk were formatted by OS/2 to be readable
to OS/2, as a giant floppy, prior to OS/2 Warp 4 Fixpack 7, then Linux would see
it as /dev/sda.  DOS could read or write it either way.  I figure NetBSD's way
would be most comparable to Linux's way, though I don't know exactly.