Subject: Problems getting Win98 running under VMware on a NetBSD 1.5U system
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Duncan McEwan <duncan@mcs.vuw.ac.nz>
List: port-i386
Date: 06/06/2001 17:11:04
I just installed VMware-2.0.4-1142 on a NetBSD 1.5U system.  The installation
seemed to go OK, and all the right stuff seems to be installed in /emul/linux.

When I run vmware and power on the VM I get diagnostics about being unable to
open the DGA frame buffer, being unable to lock the disk image file, not able
to get a virtual terminal for full-screen VGA and not having an RTC device.  I
think I understand why I'm getting these and how to fix them and don't think
they are affecting the subsequent failure described below (but I could be
wrong!).

I put a bootable Win/98 install CD in my CD drive and the installation
process starts off OK.  It formats my (virtual!) C: drive, reboots the VM,
runs scandisk (which reports no problems) and then starts the Windows 98
setup program.

The setup program goes through the stages of installing win98.  The progress
bars all seem to be updating fine as it goes through the "Preparing to run
Windows 98 Setup", "Collecting information about your computer" and "Copying
Windows 98 files to your computer" stages.

Then, I believe it should reboot the computer (virtual machine) before
finishing off the installation.  Instead, the virtual machine wedges - the
mouse no longer moves and there is no further installation activity.  The
screen is unchanged with the progress bar from the "Copying Windows 98 files"
stage stuck on 100% with no disk or CD activity.

If I reboot the virtual machine it comes up OK and displays the Windows 98
splash screen along with the text "preparing to run Windows 98 for the first
time".  But then it just drops into a DOS window with a "C:\>" prompt.  I
can happily type DOS commands at it, but I don't know why the installation
procedure isn't working correctly or what to do to fix it.  I assume that
because the VM is wedging and I have to reboot it, some essential part of the
installation process that should happen before rebooting is not.

So, has anyone successfully installed Windows 98 on this combination of VMware
(2.0.4-1142) and NetBSD (1.5U).  I realise that the patches available from
Wasabi Systems were done for a slightly earlier version of VMware and also an
earlier NetBSD-current.  I did apply the additional patch posted by Atsushi
Onoe to current-users on the 28th May.

Thanks for any assistance anyone can offer,

Duncan