Subject: Ethernet receiver goes catatonic
To: , <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Mike Cheponis <mac@Wireless.Com>
List: port-i386
Date: 06/05/2001 19:27:16
Hi, I'm running 1.5T on a K6-2/350 w/128MB.

With a RealTEk RTL8139A chip, using the rtk0 driver, and FTPing into the
box from another machine on a 100 Mb/s LAN causes the interface to stop
receiving; I'm sending lots of big files at this machine.

If I do:  ifconfig rtk0 down   then   ifconfig rtk0 up    then it comes back
to life, and I can use the network again. (The previous ftp session is
hosed, however).

It only seems to be affected when there are lots of big files going into
this machine; just an ssh session or so never causes a problem.

Today, I was able to try a D-Link DFE-570TX card (4-ports, tulip chips) uses
the de driver.

This time, the FTP succeeded for about 10% of the files before having the
exact same problem as the rtk0  (the rtk0 only got about 0.1% of the files
before croaking).

Has anybody seen this before?

Thanks -Mike

p.s. FWIW, the machine sending to the NetBSD box is Windows 2k, using ftp
in a command window, with "MPUT *" in binary mode.  I did try a NetBSD 1.5
box as the source and got a similar result, however.