Subject: Re: SMART-2/E Not Detected?
To: Bruce Lane <kyrrin@bluefeathertech.com>
From: Jon Lindgren <jlindgren@slk.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 06/05/2001 06:07:53
On Tue, 5 Jun 2001, Bruce Lane wrote:

> 	System: DECompaq ProLiant 1500 Rackmount, P100 CPU, 200+ MB RAM. System
> BIOS updated to current level (E.11 I think), SMART2/E RAID controller
> talking to a five-disk array of IBM DCHS 4-giggers. RAID controller
> firmware has been updated to latest (4.32 I think).
>
> 	Problem: Booting NetBSD 1.5 from floppies, with CD ready in drive: CD is
> seen. However, the RAID controller (identified as a Compaq 4030 device) is
> not detected properly (I can see error messages in the initial startup
> about it being not configured), and NetBSD thinks it has no hard drive to
> install to as a result.

Last I checked, cac support on eisa wasn't in the INSTALL kernels.  I had
the same problem on a 4500 machine, but after much mussing and fussing,
managed to borrow a chicken and broke the "chicken-and-egg" problem.  I
ended up having to install a SCSI drive, install to that, then swap things
around.  Could've just hacked the INSTALL kernel, but where's the fun in
that?

> 	When I set up the array initially, I had the Compaq ACU configure it for
> UNIX/XENIX type OS. Should I have selected something else?
>
> 	Also, any advice on the 2's other settings would be appreciated.

I've had luck with UNIX/XENIX on my Proliant 5000, but I've never tried
any other types (why break what works ;-) and that was with a SMART2/P.

-
Jon
 "'The chicken,' it's been said, 'is just an eggs way of making more
  eggs.'" -- Alton Brown