Subject: Re: SCSI host adaptors
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Thomas Mueller <tmueller@bluegrass.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 05/28/2001 05:07:07
(begin quote)

I got a brand new sealed 2940UW from eBay for USD 49,90. If you
want to connect narrow (8Bit) devices on the external connector you
will need a cable/adapter to terminate the higher 8Bit as the
external connector is wide (16Bit).

HTH

mike

(end of quote)

I don't know how many bits in SCSI drives, but Trantor T130B is 8-bit with
25 pins external, 50 pins internal connectors.  Iomega SCSI Zip drives have
25-pin connector, I didn't think there ever was an internal Iomega SCSI Zip
drive, though there is an internal SCSI Jaz drive.  I don't know about
terminating the higher 8bit, but I would need a 50-to-25 adapter to connect the
external SCSI Zip 250.

Adaptec AHA 2940UW sounds like overkill to me too.  Apparently today SCSI cards
are made with a view to hosting big fixed disks?  Tekram 390F might be
considered an off brand?  But others say Tekram 390F works great under NetBSD.