Subject: Re: best hardware - nic, mobo
To: Dan J Fraser <dfraser@capybara.org>
From: Frank van der Linden <fvdl@wasabisystems.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 05/24/2001 03:04:00
On Wed, May 23, 2001 at 08:59:49PM -0400, Dan J Fraser wrote:
> So the '686b works correctly as long as there's only one drive per channel?
>
> Since it seems like the only new boards you can buy these days without an
> exhaustive search are '686b boards.
>
> MSI K7T Turbo is the one I'm looking at.

Recently, most motherboard vendors have released new BIOS versions
which seem to fix the hardware PCI DMA problems, so if you make
sure to upgrade to the latest BIOS version you should be ok.

There are some newer boards coming out now with other chipsets
supporting DDR, btw. They'll cost more but an FSB at 266Mhz and
DDR ram is well worth it.

- Frank