Subject: Re: Confusing "current" versions of IPF (a.o.?)
To: David Burgess <burgess@mitre.org>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 05/23/2001 18:13:54
On Wed, 23 May 2001, David Burgess wrote:

> Frederick Bruckman wrote:
> > The bottom line is, the NetBSD base system is
> > constructed to be a coherent release, while pkgsrc isn't that at all,
> > but instead servers many masters.
>
> A Freudian expression of the state of the pkgsrc collection, for sure.
> :-)

s/servers/serves/

> To my simple brain, I would expect that there should be a way to install
> a pkgsrc version of a program in place of the existing system binaries.
> A good example is 'sendmail'...

I don't see why you'd need to do that. The package builds a
"mailer.conf" file for you, which sets all the right paths. Try
"pkg_info -D sendmail", if you missed the message at install time.

Overwriting the base system files is nasty, because it makes your
configuration really hard to reproduce after a system upgrade. (Been
there!)

> The nameserver is another example.  I'm wanting to run version 9 as my
> production DNS, but I'm not sure there's a really clean way to install
> it over the 'delivered' DNS.  I usually just end up copying the files by
> hand and calling it good.

Again, there's no need to overwrite the binaries. Copy
/usr/pkg/etc/rc.d/named to /etc/rc.d/named and set "named9=YES" in
/etc/rc.conf.

Frederick