Subject: SCSI host adaptors
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Andy Ball <ball@cyberspace.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 05/23/2001 00:57:12
Hello!

I seem to be having a lot of SCSI conversations with people
lately. Mike, my brother-in-law, is probably going to have a
CD-RW drive as his first SCSI peripheral, but I've sold him
sufficiently on the joys of SCSI that he may eventually have
a SCSI hard disk too (and perhaps a DVD-RAM, who knows! :-)

Plextor's current SCSI CD-RW drives seem to be Ultra SCSI
(8-bit, 20MHz, possibly single-ended).  I don't know if they
plan to move to Ultra160 anytime soon.

Assuming he goes with Ultra SCSI, I'm thinking of either an
Adaptec AHA-2930CU (or similar, not sure if that one's
supported) or something based on a 53c860.  His system
doesn't have NCR/Symbios BIOS extensions though, so he'll
need a card with on-board firmware if he's to eventually
boot from a SCSI drive.

Since Mike plans to run NetBSD/i386, (something else I sold
him on ;-) I would welcome suggestions as to what (Ultra)
SCSI host adaptors are known to work well with that.

Since I'm an old fart, I'll probably stick with Fast SCSI-2
(8-bit, 10MHz, single-ended) myself.  If I build another PC
for use with NetBSD, I may use a 53c810 PCI host adaptor.

- Andy.