Subject: Re: slow boot
To: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
From: Doug Troeger <dtroeger@ix.netcom.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 05/22/2001 22:44:50
To respond to your questions --

(i) dmesg on this machine (Tecra 510 CDT) contains no occurrence of
'pciide' when using the generic kernel.

(ii) the relevant dmesg lines for wdc1 would seem to be

  wdc1 at isa0 port 0x170-0x177 irq 15
  atapibus0 at wdc1 channel 0
  cd0 at atapibus0 drive 0: <TOSHIBA CD-ROM XM-1202B, 1600832705, 1635>
    type 5 cdrom
  removable

also using the generic kernel.

The two delays -- mentioned in my previous mail -- are between 45 and
50 seconds.

I am certainly not a hardware expert - I know only that these delays did
not stand out with 1.4.1 on this box.

My real question:  should I be worried about this?

Thanks,

Doug