Subject: Re: Better to roll your own, or not?
To: Masao Uebayashi <uebayasi@soum.co.jp>
From: Douglas Troeger <dtroeger@ix.netcom.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 05/21/2001 22:43:19
Actually, I am more surprised than anything else -- NetBSD has
been wonderfully stable, useful, and predictable over the three years
I've used it.

What information would be useful in tracking this down?  I used
pkgsrc.tar.gz dated April 21; I have 1.5 from the Wasabi CD; I have
some packages installed from the Wasabi distribution -- which predates
April 21 by some months. As I mentioned, the package did build and
register correctly -- on both this machine and on an older Tecra
510 CDT.  On the Tecra - also with some packages from the Wasabi
CD and some from a newer pkgsrc.tar.gz - the result was a working
installation of ghostscript.  On this machine (a PII Dell OptiPlex
GXa), ghostscript did not work.

D. Troeger

On Tue, 22 May 2001, Masao Uebayashi wrote:

> > The ghostscript 6.01 package built and registered -- but did not
> > work.  Yet the pre-compiled binary from ftp.netbsd.org _does_
> > work.
>
> Please be not pessimistic. Such a case is not so rare. You should
> describe your situation if you want more infomation.
>
> Regards,
> Masao
>
> ---

D. Troeger