Subject: Re: bootselector doesn't show up
To: Georges Heinesch <geohei-ml@geohei.lu>
From: Robert Elz <kre@munnari.OZ.AU>
List: port-i386
Date: 05/19/2001 15:11:32
    Date:        19 May 2001 9:51:38 +0100
    From:        "Georges Heinesch" <geohei-ml@geohei.lu>

  | When I boot now, The bootmenu appears:
  |
  | F1 WinNT
  | F2 NetBSD
  |
  | When I press F1 (or no entry, defualt set to F1 with timout 5
  | seconds), WinNT starts. When I press F2, nothing happens. I have to
  | reboot.
  |
  | What goes wrong here?

F2 selects the second partition on the first drive, you don't have
anything bootable installed there (and so telling the bootselector
that you did when you installed it was wrong, but won't do any harm).

  | > You'll be able to access the second disk with F5
  | > (or F6, I don't remember).
  |
  | Don't know what you mean here.
  |
  | Where shall I use F5 (or F6) to access the second disk?

When it gives you the F1 F2 prompt, hit F5 (or F6, whichever it is,
I don't recall either), then it will boot from wd1 instead.  There's
no prompt for that - you just have to "know" it (no space in the
bootselector to add the extra prompt - or I guess more accurately, to
work out when it is reasonable to add that prompt, and when it isn't).

And if you have the bootselector installed there, it will most likely
prompt you again.  This time you'd want F1 assuming NetBSD is the first
partition on wd1 (the strings printed in the prompts are just whatever
you told the bootselector to print - and don't have any direct relationship
to what actually gets booted - the mapping is from F1..F4 to the first to
fourth MBR partition, whatever is there (and then F5 F6 to restart with a
different drive number).

You don't have to delete bootselector from wd1, but doing so might just
save some time when you are booting.

kre

ps: when I install bootselector on a system which has both Wintrash and
NetBSD installed, I like the prompt for WinTrash to say "Unstable" and
the prompt for NetBSD to say "Safe Boot" - or words like that...   It
encourages people to boot the sane system...