Subject: Re: bootselector doesn't show up
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Arto Huusko <arto.huusko@maailma.yok.utu.fi>
List: port-i386
Date: 05/19/2001 03:43:41
On 18-Tou-01, Manuel wrote:

>> I installed NetBSD/i386 on my WinNT system. It's located at the end of

>> However while booting, this "bootselector" never shows up.
>> WinNT starts up liek it did before.
>
> It installed the boot selector on wd1, I guess you want one on wd0 :)

But there appears to be something strange with *my* bootselectors.
I used to have them working nicely and I could select to boot either
Win98 (wd0) or NetBSD (wd1). I then went to upgrade 98 to 2000. The
result was no different, bootselectors still worked correctly.

But, after the inevitable hassles in OS upgrade (when will these stop,
sometimes I just so hate computers) I first managed to wipe out
the bootselectors (Win2000 repair console: fixmbr without arguments)
and then NetBSD boot code (repair console again, fixboot without
arguments). I then managed to salvage NetBSD into operation and
after hitting head on the wall and switching IDE configurations...
things booted fine (my Maxtor doesn't tolerate my Seagate as
slave drive, and apparently Maxtor ended up having to be master
in first channel because of w2k... <sigh>)

But no boot selectors to be seen. Currently I'm reduced to BIOS
boot options to select my OS.

From NetBSD, I have installed boot selector code to both disks
and configured them properly (after the break down, when everything
got fixed). No matter which HD I set to boot from BIOS, I see no
boot selectors. I assume this is because the "fixmbr", but can
I fix the situation somehow, perhaps?

--
Arto Huusko  --  WWW: http://maailma.yok.utu.fi/
                  ** Divecalc **