Subject: Re: wsmouse
To: BSD <netbsd@ruthblad.com>
From: Richard Rauch <rauch@eecs.ukans.edu>
List: port-i386
Date: 05/18/2001 09:52:16
> I have a lot of problems with running the PS2-mouse under /dev/wsmouse0 ,
> it is functioning but the marker is running around like a madman when you

The behavior that you describe is consistant with the mouse driver getting
the wrong protocol, so events are not understood.

One possibility is that you didn't try telling X to use the "wsmouse"
protocol.  (I can't remember if the X configuration tools/docs actually
mention this, but wsmouse uses a standard, albeit custom, mouse protocol
for ALL mice.  The NetBSD version of XFree86 knows about the wsmouse
protocol, whether or not the documentation/config-tools mention it.)

Another possibility is that you have a mouse that isn't supported by the
wsmouse driver in the kernel.  I DOUBT that this is the problem, if you
are using a standard 1.5 kernel.

As I read the man-pages for the pms/pmsi/opms PS/2 mouse drivers, and the
comment in the GENERIC config:

 pms/pmsi are both enabled by default in GENERIC.

 opms is old/obsolete; it doesn't claim to support any extra mice, but
 is apparently necessary if you are trying to run NetBSD without wscons.

 pmsi supports the MS ``Intellimouse'' (wheel-button) PS/2 mice.

 pms supports most other PS/2 mice.

 I vaguely recall that the ``Intellimouse'' can function as a 2-button
 mouse with a normal 2-button PS/2 mouse driver---so you might be able
 to at least limp along with a mis-matched driver.

If you want to fiddle with your mouse driver, and have never built a
custom kernel before: It's not difficult (at least so long as you stick to
tweaking config files; (^&).  The following URL is a good place to start,
if you've never built a custom kernel:

 http://www.netbsd.org/Documentation/kernel/

(Though I rather doubt that your kernel is at issue, here.)

If you have a mouse conforming to the protocol used by one of 3 PS/2 mouse
drivers, have wsmouse set up properly and have booted with a kernel that
knows about your type of PS/2 mouse, then your X config should tell X the
following about your mouse:

    Protocol    "wsmouse"
    Device      "/dev/wsmouse0"

=2E..if any of the above is unclear, let me know where I became opaque, and
I'll try to clarify.

> move the mouse. when I connected an old serial one to /dev/tty0 everythin=
> worked alright. I=B4ve tried all the different types there was under xf86=
config.

=2E..did you try "wsmouse"?  It may not have been listed, so you might have
to manually edit the XFree86 configuration file.  But, it's just a text
file...(^&

Good luck.  Let me know if the above is of any help.

  "I probably don't know what I'm talking about." --rauch@eecs.ukans.edu