Subject: Re: Matrox 2064W
To: =?iso-8859-1?Q?=D8yvin?= Halfdan Thuv <thuv@nextra.com>
From: Richard Rauch <rauch@eecs.ukans.edu>
List: port-i386
Date: 05/18/2001 07:01:01
There are two routes that may work for you.  One is to go with the
pkgsrc/graphics/Mesa-glx package.  This is only for XFree86 3.3.x X
servers.  It has some limitations, but may conceivably give you
performance improvements with your card.  Although I'm not familiar with
the Matrox cards, it doesn't look like the 2064W is supported.  Given that
the Mesa-glx (a.k.a. utah-glx) project is kind of a dead-end, and
apparently hasn't moved since October 30, 2000, this may not be the best
way to go.  (UNLESS your card looks and acts like one of the supported
cards.)

The other route to hardware acceleated 3D graphics is probably via DRI
(Direct Rendering Infrastructure I believe; see http://www.XFree86.org/
for more information) support in XFree86 4.x.  This is probably in the
long term the prefered way.  (Mesa-glx/utah-glx is only for XFree86 3.3.x.
DRI is new to XFree86 4.x, and is presumably where the future lies for
open-source hardware-accelerated OpenGL.)

Unfortunately, there apparently need to be changes to our kernel to
support DRI; an alternative to kernel changes may be to use the aperture
driver from pkgsrc, and modify that, for DRI support.  This was something
that I wanted to look into this spring, myself, but time seemed to
evaporate.  If you really want this support, there are about 3 things that
I can think of offhand that may help:

 * Work on the code yourself.  This is probably the best thing to do,
   from several perspectives, if you have much programming background.
   Even if you never get deep enough to contribute much/any code, you
   will at least learn about both X and NetBSD (and perhaps the two
   extant DRI-supporting systems, FreeBSD and GNU/LINUX).  Knowledge
   is always good.  (^&

 * Donate money to a ``DRI fund'', to encourage others to work on DRI.
   (How to divide the money between multiple contributors may be
   problematic, of course...)  You might have to create the fund yourself;
   I believe that the legal term is ``escrow'' here.

   At the extreme, you could personally contract a commercial entity such
   as Wasabi explicitly to do DRI support.  (Yes, I _did_ say ``at the
   extreme''.  (^&)

 * Lend/give 3D graphics hardware to people interested in working on
   DRI.

...somewhat more indirectly, I suppose, you could let commercial
developers know that you would like to see their product running on
NetBSD.  Most companies are primarily motivated by their bottom line, so
if they see substantial reason to support NetBSD, they will do so.

If you just want accelerated 3D graphics _now_, you may have to look
elsewhere, though.  I haven't heard of anyone actively working on DRI for
NetBSD.

  "I probably don't know what I'm talking about." --rauch@eecs.ukans.edu