Subject: Re: Reduce size of extended partition
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Georges Heinesch <geohei-ml@geohei.lu>
List: port-i386
Date: 05/18/2001 10:14:33
Quoting Luke Mewburn (17-May-01 13:33:22):

> On Thu, May 17, 2001 at 09:27:56AM +0100, Georges Heinesch wrote:

>> I have a harddisk (NTFS WinNT 4.0) where I wouldlike to install
>> NetBSD at the end. The entire disk is declared as "extended
>> partition". As long as I don't reduce the size of this extended
>> partition, I can't install NetBSD.
>>
>> How can I archive this?
>>
>> Is the data inside the extended partition (logical drives and
>> primary partition) lost?

> Commercial programs such as `Partition Magic' can perform this
> resize operation without data loss, as well as providing many other
> useful features (like move partitions, change partitions from
> extended -> primary, etc).

Is it not possible to use the standard WinNT Disk Administrator to
archieve this size reduction of my extended partition?

BTW, The NetBSD installer (from floopy) prompts ...

Start (MB): 7
Size (MB) : 43967
End (MB)  : 43975

The last part of my extended partition does not contain any logical
partition. I plan to use this portion for NetBSD. Is it not possible
to reduce the size of the extended partition using the NetBSD
installer I use. I would like to enter something like ...

Start (MB): 7
Size (MB) : 43000
End (MB)  : 43008

Does this not destroy the logical partitions at the beginning of the
extended partition (the first 35 GB only are used, however the entire
disk is declared as extended partition)?

TIA

--
Cu  Georges Heinesch, Luxembourg
    geohei@geohei.lu