Subject: Re: Support for PS/2 esdi disks in bootblocks
To: None <thorpej@zembu.com>
From: Jaromír <jdolecek@NetBSD.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 05/11/2001 22:04:43
Jason R Thorpe wrote:
> The problem is the that ESDI disk controllers generally weren't compatible
> at all.  What about the ESDI controller for my IBM RT?  It's just an ISA
> card, IIRC, and in theory I could write an MI driver for it (not that I'd
> want to :-)

There is a slight chance that thing would be compatible with
the MCA ESDI, maybe :)

And what about using e.g. disktype DTYPE_ESDIMCA for the PS/2 ESDI
disk?

If that is not the right thing, it would probably be okay to go
just with the simple check (i.e.  DTYPE_ESDI on PS/2 --> claim it's
ed(4)), at least until 'wd* at mca?' would be supported. I'd rather
avoid adding unnecessary bloat to bootblocks until then.

Jaromir
--
Jaromir Dolecek <jdolecek@NetBSD.org>      http://www.ics.muni.cz/~dolecek/
NetBSD - just plain best OS! -=*=- Got spare MCA cards or docs? Hand me them!