Subject: Re: This isn't very helpful on setting up a modem
To: Brian A. Seklecki <lavalamp@burghcom.com>
From: None <stripes@tigerlair.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 05/09/2001 09:39:51
Brian A. Seklecki enscribed:
> Dude, Ms., I _really_ like the sig, but calm down and thing about what you
> specifically want to do with your modem (at least before blasting
> nastri-grams).

Sorry, that wasn't the goal.

> On Tue, 8 May 2001 stripes@tigerlair.com wrote:
> > That's great and all, but how do you configure the @#&*$*$ thing? I really like NetBSD, I really do, but
> >....the documentation is really lacking.
> You're preaching to the choir.

Ugh, sorry about the line wrap folks. I'll work on that.

> > So, which device is com3? I have a Xircom modem, which seems to be ok.
> > com3 at pcmcia0 function 0 port 0x2e8-0x2ef: serial device
> > Now, how on earth do I test the line?
> All the kernel really does is provide you with a serial raw device in
> /dev.

Ok, thanks. Someone else was nice enough to send me instructions on how to
test it.

> Do you want to dial your ISP and setup a SLIP/PPP connection?

Yep, that's it.

> Do you want to run your own ISP? (ghetto.net?) ;-)
> Do you want to dial a BBS?
> Do you want to send faxes?
> Do you want to setup remote administration dial-in?

No to the above. :) Just want to be able to check my mail remotely.

> ...how about a really cool answering machine?

Ooooo.. maybe when I get more computers :)

> Apps & documentation are available for just about all of these, but you
> may have to look beyond the NetBSD homepage.

I have. The networking info has some stuff, but I've found modems very difficult to configure on the Linux side.

>  ----
> "GNU/Linux: About as stable as the elements at the bottom of the periodic
> table"

Yes, and that's why.

-Anne
--
For sincere personal advice       (\`--/') _ _______ .-r-.
and the correct time:              >.~.\ `` ` `,`,`. ,'_'~`.