Subject: Re: High speed serial port
To: David Forrai <david.forrai@gemair.com>
From: Steven Grunza <steven_grunza@ieee.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 05/08/2001 11:53:09
I just tried a BAFO USB to Serial ( DB9 ) on NetBSD-1.5 port-i386

It caused the USB port to be disabled.  Under WindowsME it seems to work ok.

At 09:02 PM 5/7/2001 -0400, David Forrai wrote:
>I'm currently using the internal 16550 based serial port on my ASUS
>P5A-B motherboard to drive my ISDN terminal adapter (3Com ImpactIQ) at
>115 kbps on a single (64K) ISDN channel.  Since prices have come down,
>I'd like to use both channels (128K).  The ImpactIQ will support a 230
>kbps speed on its serial interface.  The ASUS interface doesn't support
>that rate.  I am running NetBSD 1.5.1-ALPHA.  From my research, I now
>have four options:
>
>1) Do nothing and run at 115 kbps.
>2) Get a USB to serial translator.  I found a unit at a local vendor for
>22USD that supports speeds up to 1 Mbps.
>3) Get a two port PCI serial expansion card using a 16650 chip that
>supports bauds up to 460 kbps.  About 50USB at a local vendor.
>4) Get a one port PCI serial expansion card using a 16950 chip that
>supports bauds up to 920 kbps.  About 50USD at a local vendor.
>
>Reviewing the hardware compatibility on the NetBSD site, I didn't see
>any support for a 16650 or 16950 chip.  There did seem to be support for
>a USD to serial interface.  Does anyone have experience to know which of
>options 2 through 4 will work?  Thanks in advance.

"Luke, you're going to find that many | Steven Grunza
of the truths we cling to depend      | voice:  (856) 787 - 2759
greatly on our own point of view."    | fax:    (856) 866 - 2033
  - Obi Wan Kenobi, Return of the Jedi | mailto:steven_grunza@ieee.org