Subject: Re: Problem with switching sound cards.
To: Brian A. Seklecki <lavalamp@burghcom.com>
From: Peter Losher <Peter.Losher@nominum.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 05/07/2001 17:57:21
On Mon, 7 May 2001, Brian A. Seklecki wrote:

> Try using XMMIX.  It's motif, but it's hella better than xmix.

Well, xmmix worked a little bit better (I can now hear the vocals as a
whisper), but is still is way below what the old SB did...

> "Ensoniq AudioPCI", that's basically a second generation Soundblaster 128,
> right?  IIRC, it has two audio output jacks? One line (8 ohm?) and one
> amp'd.  I take it you've tried both?

Yes, several times...

> Definately try a better mixer.  What are you using to output? xmms?

xmms

> Did you look for any sysctl variables?

Yes, even tried, as someone suggested, making sure all of the mute
varaibles were turned off.

Someone here (who also runs NetBSD) recommended using USB speakers, thus
bypassing a soundcard altogether (using uaudio).  I have some spare cycles
on this workstation, and it would bypass the sound problem I have on my
other box (a laptop using the infamous Maestro 3 sound chip)  So I might
try that next (w/ a Yamaha YSTMS55D)

-Peter
--
Peter Losher   				      <Peter.Losher@nominum.com>
Systems Admin. - Nominum, Inc.              PGP key available on request