Subject: Re: Kernel performance and tuning
To: None <stripes@tigerlair.com>
From: David Brownlee <abs@netbsd.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 05/07/2001 23:36:45
On Mon, 7 May 2001 stripes@tigerlair.com wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Since everyone here has been quite helpful, I have a couple more questions for you:
>
> 1) I've checked the archives on this, and I'm unable to find the
> information on this. How can you prevent the OS from stopping for
> about 30-45 seconds on "Preserving editor files"? Is there an option
> in compiling?

	That would probably be a DNS timeout while trying to send email
	about the saved files. Do you have sendmail setup?

> 2) Is it possible to link /tmp to /usr/tmp instead? I think that my /
> directory is getting too full too quickly, and I really don't want to
> repartition my laptop.

	You can symlink across, or put /tmp on mfs if you have swap space
	to spare:

	Something like the following in /etc/fstab:

/dev/wd0b               /tmp            mfs     rw,-s262144             0 0

	(That gives a 128MB /tmp on swap)

		David/absolute		-- www.netbsd.org: No hype required --