Subject: Re: Support for PS/2 esdi disks in bootblocks
To: Jarommr Dolecek <jdolecek@netbsd.org>
From: Rafal Boni <rafal@mediaone.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 05/05/2001 14:59:02
In message <200105051717.f45HHTR04267@saruman.ics.muni.cz>, you write:

-> Rafal Boni wrote:
-> > I don't think so.  My primary NetBSD box started out as a 486/33 with
-> > dual ESDI disks hanging off a ISA ESDI card.  And this was a plain ISA
-> > box,  not a PS/2.
-> >
-> > The disks have long since been replaced (since they could heat my appt.
-> > and made enough noise that friends mistook the computer for a small jet
-> > airplane 8-), so I'm not 100% sure if they were ID'd as generic ST506
-> > disks or as ESDI disks by disklabel, but it's probably worth a second
-> > look.
->
-> Hmm, true. Default wd(4) disklabel uses DTYPE_ESDI for disks
-> not identified as ST506. Perhaps a change to also check for
-> MCA bus presence would do? The assembler code for that check
-> would be next ~700 bytes however (slighly modified stand/lib/biosmca.S).

Hmm, that's a hard call... 700 bytes seems like a lot of bloat to add to
the boot blocks just to figure out if those disks were on an ISA EDSI card
or an MCA ESDI card.  I'd hate to force the case of having an ESDI boot
disk to automatically imply it's hanging off an MCA ESDI controller.

--rafal

----
Rafal Boni                                                  rafal@mediaone.net