Subject: Re: A7V133 IDE controller
To: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
From: Frank van der Linden <fvdl@wasabisystems.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 05/04/2001 19:33:15
On Fri, May 04, 2001 at 06:19:29PM +0200, Manuel Bouyer wrote:
> Do you have more details on this ? Especially which revs of the controller
> cause problems ?
> This can be worked around in driver.

There have been spurious reports about lockups with the VIA chipset for
quite some time (with tv cards, for example), but recently some
Germans reproduced it consistently by using 2 drives on 2 channels
simultaneously with the 686B (which is rev. 0x40 for pcib).

I forgot the url to this. I saw part of one proposed workaround,
but it seemed to use registers that weren't even on the datasheet.

I think it's a more general chipset issue, not something that you
can work around in just the pciide driver. Though I suppose using
some safer defaults won't hurt.

- Frank
--
Frank van der Linden                           fvdl@wasabisystems.com