Subject: Re: VIA chipset problems - what is recommended solution / workaround?
To: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
From: Ingolf Steinbach <ingolf@jellonet.de>
List: port-i386
Date: 05/04/2001 12:11:56
Manuel Bouyer wrote:
> Yes, see the wd(4) man page.

Thanks a lot. I'll try that. Can the value 0 be used for each nibble of the
flags independently from the other nibbles? The man pages only mentions
the 0x0000 case (i.e. all nibbles =0 at the same time).

> But this won't help you in this case.
> The kernel isn't aware that your motherboard can do UDMA5 at the moment
> and will use UDMA2 (that's part of the problem)

Hm. I don't understand that. I thought that UDMA5 makes the problems and
that I just have to use some slower UDMA mode to workaround the problems.
Does the kernel have to be aware of the motherboard's UDMA5-capability in
this case? (I want the kernel to be forced to not use UDMA5!)

> however in the dmesg I notice the kernel doesn't use Ultra-DMA at all.
> Did you put flags to disable Ultra-DMA in your kernel config file ?

See the "Note that I have turned off UDMA at the moment (see the
"wd0(pciide0:0:0):" line)" above the dmesg output in my original post.

Regards
    Ingolf