Subject: Re: Odd software bug in 1.5
To: David Burgess <burgess@mitre.org>
From: Greywolf <greywolf@starwolf.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 05/03/2001 15:37:37
On Thu, 3 May 2001, David Burgess wrote:
[snip]

# have inetd tip over like this.  Everything else keeps running, and there
# are no core files.  I can restart inetd from the command line and it
# will keep on running for a couple of weeks to a month.  If it happened a
# little more often, I'd build a "Robin Hood/Little John" program that
# would restart it if it disappeared, but I'm assuming it's something
# transient in the way I've got these systems running.
#
# I'm not too concerned about it - we know what to look for and the NOC
# Monitor has been programmed to spot it and page me.  I can handle it
# manually most of the time.  If anyone has any ideas, I'd like to hear
# them.

Do you have process accounting enabled on the machine(s) in question?
(You should.)

Check to see if inetd terminated on a signal; it won't say which one,
but it might give a good indication (XCPU? XFSZ?) as to what's up.

# Dave Burgess
				--*greywolf;
--
*BSD: What do you want to serve today?