Subject: Odd software bug in 1.5
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: David Burgess <burgess@mitre.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 05/03/2001 16:37:24
I run a couple of mail servers here that once in a while (like once or
twice a month) loses 'inetd'.  There's no indication of a problem, inetd
just stops being there; no core dump, no message, it's just gone.  This
has been happening ever since the upgrade to 1.5, and I was wondering if
anyone else might have seen something like this.

Note that we are running pop3 and imap clients from inetd, so these
servers are exercising (and apparently exorcising :-) inetd more than
any of our other servers.  These servers are the only ones that ever
have inetd tip over like this.  Everything else keeps running, and there
are no core files.  I can restart inetd from the command line and it
will keep on running for a couple of weeks to a month.  If it happened a
little more often, I'd build a "Robin Hood/Little John" program that
would restart it if it disappeared, but I'm assuming it's something
transient in the way I've got these systems running.

I'm not too concerned about it - we know what to look for and the NOC
Monitor has been programmed to spot it and page me.  I can handle it
manually most of the time.  If anyone has any ideas, I'd like to hear
them.

Dave Burgess