Subject: Re: Thanks!
To: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
From: Frank van der Linden <fvdl@wasabisystems.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 05/02/2001 13:45:47
On Wed, May 02, 2001 at 01:40:40PM +0200, Manuel Bouyer wrote:
> But I agree that the boot selector should print entries for
> others disks when present

One of the goals of the bootselector was that it would fit into one
sector (512 bytes). Sector 0 is the only one guaranteed to be
available, as it contains the MBR (though most systems default
to leaving the first track available now).

Believe me, it now has all the functionality that can be crammed
into 512 bytes.. For more functionality, the bootselector would
either have to take up more sectors in track 0, or be moved
to the 2nd stage bootloader.

- Frank

--
Frank van der Linden                           fvdl@wasabisystems.com