Subject: Re: x-windows
To: todd marek <todd@somahq.com>
From: Chris Pinnock <cjep@fawlty.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 04/29/2001 08:20:04
On Sat, Apr 28, 2001 at 01:13:26PM -0500, todd marek wrote:
> Hello-
> Im new to the list and to netbsd.  I got the os installed on an older pc
> but cannot seem to get x to run properly.  I used the xf86conifg program
> to set up the configuration file, but when i enter startx on the command
> line it begins to load and then gives me a screen similar to the
> following
> ||    ||||
> |||||||            |||||
> At this point the command line becomes unresponsive and I can't get out
> of the screen.  I tried to use CTRL-ALT-DELETE but that failed as well.
> If anyone had any suggestions I'd really appreciate it.

Hi Todd,

CTRL-ALT together with BACKSPACE should kill the X server if you get
into trouble.

You might be better off installing XF86Setup to setup your graphics
card (this is in the NetBSD packages collection). Provided your
graphics hardware is supported, you may find this package more useful.

best wishes,
--
Chris