Subject: Re: A7V133 IDE controller
To: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
From: Frank van der Linden <fvdl@wasabisystems.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 04/28/2001 12:41:51
On Fri, Apr 27, 2001 at 09:19:51PM +0200, Manuel Bouyer wrote:
> What kind of panic ?
> You may also want to put each drive on it own channel (as you don't have
> anything on pciide0:1) it will work better

Actually, I would currently recommend against this. The VIA chipset
(certainly rev 0x40, which is the 686B) is known to have problems
with multiple devices doing bus master DMA simultaneously. 2 drives
on the same channel should be ok, but there have been well-published
reports (not just on NetBSD) of file system corruption with heavier
use of 2 disks on seperate channels.

Your A7V board may or may not show the problem, but I wouldn't
take the risk.

- Frank

--
Frank van der Linden                           fvdl@wasabisystems.com