Subject: Re: A7V133 IDE controller
To: Andrea <andrea@practive.org>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
List: port-i386
Date: 04/27/2001 21:19:51
On Fri, Apr 27, 2001 at 03:47:40PM +0000, Andrea wrote:
> Hi All!
>
> I got a A7v133 motherboard.
>
> This mother board is provided with 2 IDE controller, the first based on
> VIA chipset and the other is a Promise ATA100 (with raid support).
>
> [...]
> pciide1:1: bogus intr <---------------------------------???????

This is not something to worry about for now, it's mostly cosmetic.
If you start getting these under normal operation (during network I/O for
example, as network and pciide1 shares the interrupt) then please report

> boot device: wd0dump device:
> file system (default generic): nfd\^H \^Hs
> root on rtk0
> nfs_boot: trying DHCP/BOOTP
> nfs_boot: BOOTP server: 151.36.176.69
> nfs_boot: my_addr=151.36.176.68
> nfs_boot: my_mask=255.255.0.0
> root on moondust.practive.org:/usr/home/andrea/netbsd
>
> /---- I got these when i mount the filesystems --/
> pciide0:0:0: lost interrupt
>         type: ata tc_bcount: 2048 tc_skip: 0
> pciide0:0:0: bus-master DMA error: missing interrupt, status=0x60
> wd0: transfer error, downgrading to Ultra-DMA mode 1
> wd0(pciide0:0:0): using PIO mode 4, Ultra-DMA mode 1 (using DMA data
> transfers)
> wd1(pciide0:0:1): using PIO mode 4, Ultra-DMA mode 2 (Ultra/33) (using
> DMA data transfers)
> wd0a: DMA error writing fsbn 16 of 16-19 (wd0 bn 79; cn 0 tn 1 sn 16),
> retrying
> wd0: soft error (corrected)
> pciide0:0:1: lost interrupt
>         type: ata tc_bcount: 2048 tc_skip: 0
> pciide0:0:1: bus-master DMA error: missing interrupt, status=0x60
> wd1: transfer error, downgrading to Ultra-DMA mode 1
> wd0(pciide0:0:0): using PIO mode 4, Ultra-DMA mode 1 (using DMA data
> transfers)
> wd1(pciide0:0:1): using PIO mode 4, Ultra-DMA mode 1 (using DMA data
> transfers)
> wd1a: aborted command, interface CRC error writing fsbn 16 of 16-19 (wd1
> bn 79; cn 0 tn 1 sn 16), retrying
> wd1: soft error (corrected)
>

> After that the filesystem came up correctly (or so seems) but i got
> system panic when i try to configure raidframe.

What kind of panic ?
You may also want to put each drive on it own channel (as you don't have
anything on pciide0:1) it will work better

> The promise controller ,instead, works without errors.

I know the VIA support isn't in a good shape these days. This comes partly
from VIA's stupidity which doesn't change product or revision ID for their
controllers, when a lot of things change (Ultra33->Ultra/66->Ultra/100 for
example). This needs a workaround, to detect the chip type by some other
way ...

--
Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>