Subject: Installing onto a secondary drive
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Andrew Steven Ball <kb9ylw@cyberspace.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 04/27/2001 01:35:55
Hello!

Today I picked up a serial cable I've wanted for a while,
and because I'd been messing with some terminal software on
a PC that has no hard disk, I thought I'd start to look at
how to achieve login sessions via a serial port.  A quick
nose around in some man pages suggested I look at /etc/ttys.
I looked at it, took a wild-assed guess as to the correct
parameters (19200 BpS instead of 9600, 'yes' instead of 'no')
and what do you know, it worked!  Once again I am gob-smacked
at how straightforward some things are under NetBSD!!

On a different topic, I'm thinking of putting NetBSD on
another machine, which has two ATA fixed disks.  With help
from the list, I have succeeded in the past to install
NetBSD from a FAT partition on the disk to which I was
installing.

On this machine, I would like to install NetBSD on the
second physical disk drive, using the primary (FAT)
partition of the first physical disk drive as my source
media.

  1. How would I go about achieving this?

  2. Once NetBSD is installed on the second drive, can I use
     something like DOSBOOT to load NetBSD?

  3. If at some point I plan to switch the drives round (or
     put the NetBSD drive into another machine), will it be
     possible to make that drive bootable (or should I start
     from scratch)?

Any advice would be most welcome!

Regards,
  - Andy Ball.