Subject: Setting up StarOffice 5.1 on NetBSD 1.5
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: None <stripes@tigerlair.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 04/24/2001 13:35:06
Hello everyone,

I'll definitely put this on my web site. It's great to see that it's nice to runan operating system with so much support :)

Thanks to Frederick Bruckman, Jared D. McNeill, Steve Bellovin, Bernd Sieker, Rick Kelly, and Alan Barrett for helping me through this. If I forgot you, please let me know.

To get StarOffice 5.1 working through pkgsrc, you need to do the following:
- Create a proc filesystem (before even trying the install)
- Get the 5.1 binaries (can't get them from Sun anymore, and NetBSD hasn't updated the package distribution to include 5.2).

To create the procfs, add this line to your /etc/fstab.
/proc           /proc           procfs  rw 0 0

If you're running the latest kernel, you can mount the procfs as Linux, but this isn't necessary for StarOffice.

Then (as root),

# mkdir /proc
# mount /proc

Make sure your procfs is mounted properly:

# mount
/dev/wd0a on / type ffs (local)
/dev/wd0e on /usr type ffs (local)
kernfs on /kern type kernfs (local)
procfs on /proc type procfs (local)

Once you've done this, get the StarOffice 5.1 binary (so51a_lnx_01.tar) from either one of these locations to your /usr/pkgsrc/distfiles directory:
- ftp://menace.csd.unb.ca/pub/staroffice51/
- ftp://ftp.rmkhome.com/pub/staroffice/

Make sure the binary is uncompressed and all you have is the tar file before running the pkgsrc installation.

Install the package:
# cd /usr/pkgsrc/misc/staroffice
# make install

Then, as the user you want to run StarOffice as, run the following and go through the M$-like install menus.

$ /usr/pkg/bin/sosetup

To run StarOffice:

$ /usr/pkg/bin/soffice
--
Time exists solely              (\`--/') _ _______ .-r-.
for the purpose of               >.~.\ `` ` `,`,`. ,'_'~`.