Subject: Re: StarOffice working for NetBSD 1.5?
To: None <stripes@tigerlair.com>
From: Alan Barrett <apb@cequrux.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 04/24/2001 20:19:18
> The other problem is I can't get StarOffice 5.2 to work (even
> after copying all the necessary libraries to /emul/linux/lib). Has
> anyone had any success with this or can someone tell me where I
> can find a copy of so-5_2-ga-bin-linux_en?

Try this to get StarOffice 5.2 to work on NetBSD/i386:

 * Start with a NetBSD/i386 machine with a sufficiently recent kernel
   with sufficient Linux compatibility stuff installed.  I don't know
   what's sufficient here; I used NetBSD-current as of a month or so ago
   with a COMPAT_LINUX kernel and with the suse_linux-6.3nb2 package
   installed from pkgsrc.

 * Fill in the registration form and download the huge (approx 100MB)
   linux executable file from Sun's web site.  I forget the file name.

 * Install it on a Linux/i386 system.  I got a Linux-using friend do
   this part for me, but I believe that it involves something like:

     - Be root in a shell in an xterm on an X display on the Linux box.
     - Run the huge executable program with the "-net" option.
     - When it asks for a directory name, give an appropriate name.
       It will unpack itself into a ton of files within the specified
       install directory.

 * Copy the install directory from the Linux/i386 machine to the
   NetBSD/i386 machine (or I think you can even NFS-mount it read-only).
   You don't need to use the same directory name on both machines.

 * On the NetBSD box, create /usr/bin/test as a symlink to /bin/test.
   You can avoid this step if you instead hack a few of the StarOffice
   scripts.

 * Each user on the NetBSD box needs to do this the first time:

     - Be running a shell under your own userid in an xterm on an X
       display on the NetBSD box.
     - Run ${install_dir}/program/soffice, where ${install_dir} is where
       you copied the install directory tree that you got from the Linux
       box.
     - Answer the questions.  It will copy some stuff into your home
       directory.

 * Later, to run StarOffice, just run ${install_dir}/programs/soffice
   on an X display.  You can install a symlink or a window manager menu
   item to make it easier.

--apb (Alan Barrett)