Subject: Re: make from current
To: T@W <lsp93@xs4all.nl>
From: Wiz <wiz@danbala.ifoer.tuwien.ac.at>
List: port-i386
Date: 04/20/2001 23:34:37
Mutt made me believe that T@W wrote:
>  Thanks for the response, figured that out by ....yes, reading the UPDATING
> file, which at first I missed because I did get my files from the tar dir.
> And there's no UPDATING file........(hint).

I'm not sure, but I think this has been fixed in the mean time. Sorry
:(

> Anyway I managed to get myself in the famous chicken-egg situation:
> Libc needs the new lint and lint needs the new make. But UPDATING says to
> bring everything up-to-date first and then install make.

MKLINT=no is your friend.

> Voila, round circle.
> So what's really meant by bringing everything up-to-date?

I guess a general cvs update/resup/new tar. One could improve on the
wording there...
The point is that you don't update /usr/share/mk before trying to
build make, otherwise you could be fscked.

HTH,
 Thomas

--
Thomas Klausner - wiz@danbala.tuwien.ac.at
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that,