Subject: Re: make from current
To: Wiz <wiz@danbala.ifoer.tuwien.ac.at>
From: T@W <lsp93@xs4all.nl>
List: port-i386
Date: 04/20/2001 22:44:25
Wiz encoded:
>> 1./usr/src/share/mk/bsd.prog.mk lines 132-134  breaks Make in 'make
>>build'.
>> Cutting those 3 lines  makes it work again.
>
>Update make.
>
>> 2.when were the -w and -X flags for Lint introduced?
>> Building from src-current the Makefile in libc contains these flags, but
>> they are non-existent and man lint says no -X and no -w flags?
>> I took them out and libc builds 'fine'.
>
>Update lint.
>
>In general, reading 'src/UPDATING' is a good idea.

 Thanks for the response, figured that out by ....yes, reading the UPDATING
file, which at first I missed because I did get my files from the tar dir.
And there's no UPDATING file........(hint).
Anyway I managed to get myself in the famous chicken-egg situation:
Libc needs the new lint and lint needs the new make. But UPDATING says to
bring everything up-to-date first and then install make.
Voila, round circle.
So what's really meant by bringing everything up-to-date?
-make UPDATE=build or
-make includes && make dependall or
-just make per directory?

TIA,