Subject: Re: recommended systems
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Thomas Michael Wanka <Tom@Wanka.at>
List: port-i386
Date: 04/19/2001 21:31:51
Hi,

On 19 Apr 2001, at 20:59, wojtek@3miasto.net wrote:

> not better to plug 1GB RAM to machine and write software that will
> keep all in memory??

In those days not too many Computers allowed 1GB Ram. Todays
clipper 2 will allow 8GB per disk (16 dimm slots, if 1GB dimms
were supported 16GB were possible) that could be combined by a
Raid controller.

> and it's volatile! disk must be nonvolatile

IIRC the clipper had a battery to keep memory for more than 12
hours. Other manufacturers have a backupdisk included, I suppose
in case of a power outage (either power failure or a shutdown of
the host) the SSD would be backed up to disk. A system where
such a device was used is supposed to run 24x7.

mike