Subject: Re: recommended systems
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 04/19/2001 15:16:48
[ On Thursday, April 19, 2001 at 16:19:21 (+0200), wojtek@3miasto.net wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: recommended systems
>
> > LVD drive (actually, I've never had a problem running Ultra-160 -
> > "just works").  Again, a matter of requirements and taste.
>
> with not-only-disks configuration, more than 4 devices and long cables
> there are problems.

No, not with LVD (or real/HV differential), at least not if you stick to
using components within the required specifications (not all off-the-
shelf SCSI components deserve the name, particularly in PC circles).

Your claim is only true for non-differential Ultra-II (or is it III?)
FAST SCSI where the minimum inter-device spacing and the bus length
limits force you to restrict your bus to only four such devices.

It's also never been wise to mix FAST, Ultra-FAST, and/or Ultra-*-FAST
devices on the same bus, especially if it's not a differential bus.

(though why anyone would ever use anything but differential signalling
is beyond me! ;-)

--
							Greg A. Woods