Subject: Re: recommended systems
To: None <tm_wanka@earthling.net>
From: Jon Lindgren <jlindgren@slk.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 04/19/2001 11:33:22
On Thu, 19 Apr 2001, Thomas Michael Wanka wrote:

> On 20 Apr 2001, at 0:32, Luke Mewburn wrote:
>
> > maybe in europe. here in australia, the 18GB scsi's are about A$600,
> > which is a bit cheaper than a 60GB ide. as i said, *if you can afford
> > it*, which is usually a company or university, not home.
>
> 60GB ATA for about USD 300,-- and 18GB SCSI about 10% more
> here in Austria for IBM drives. But a 15GB ATA 100 (IBM with
> 7200U/min) will be less than USD 100,-- while the cheapest
> available SCSI disk is a 9GB (seagate, 7200U/min) for more than
> USD 200,--.

Acutally, with some looking around, SCSI can be quite cheap.  I picked up
a few IBM 10,000 RPM drives at 9.1GB a piece, Ultra-160 LVD, for $119 a
piece - new (not refurb), with factory warranty from IBM. "SCSI on a
bugdet."  Especially with a few dot-coms and such failing, spare equipment
is at at all time high, and SCSI equipment can be had to pretty cheap.

These kinds of deals aren't available all the time, but with some
searching around it is possible to build a SCSI system for almost the same
$$$ as an IDE system (most likely a lower capacity, tho... but hopefully a
bit quicker and more robust).

-
Jon
 - The opinions expressed are not necesarily those of my employer.
   "I wonder how many people actually read my .sig?"