Subject: Re: recommended systems
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Thomas Michael Wanka <Tom@Wanka.at>
List: port-i386
Date: 04/19/2001 17:06:20
Hi,

On 19 Apr 2001, at 15:29, wojtek@3miasto.net wrote:

> IDE today gives not-much-worse performance with 1/5 of price

That depends on the needs. I have (for whatever reason, some of
these are "just there" others I need from time to time) CD, CDR,
Jaz, Zip, Scanner, Dat, MO, Tape, Floppy. I find it also practicable
*not* to have a CD in every workstation. On my current x86 the
15GB ATA 100 drive has one 2GB partition I use, the last months
there were no reasons to create more space.

If one has the need for SCSI and does not need too much capacity,
a 4.5GB SCSI disk is not much more expensive than a ATA disk
with comparable performance. And if someone desperately needs
speed and can live with a maximum single disk capacity of 8GB,
SSDs are only available f=FCr some kind of SCSI (but for such a
person price must not be relvant)!

Then again, if capacity is needed, ATA to SCSI Raid Systems can
hold up to 8 disks with one UWSCSI ID and can be connected to a
SCSI Raid controller giving a total of 7TB when using 60GB disks at
a fraction(!) of the cost of SCSI systems with the same capacity.

mike