Subject: Re: recommended systems
To: None <wojtek@3miasto.net>
From: Jon Lindgren <jlindgren@slk.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 04/19/2001 09:48:24
On Thu, 19 Apr 2001 wojtek@3miasto.net wrote:

> > Sydney, 18 April 2001
> >
> > I used/using various GigaByte BX, BXS, BXC motherboards,
> > and I don't use anything but SCSI disk subsytem(s).  All
>
> IDE today gives not-much-worse performance with 1/5 of price

Unless you need 6 drives to do the job, in which case the cable length
requirements become a burden.  Also, SCSI disks work in everything from
the older VAXen (if you're lucky enough to have a SCSI adapter in it
;-) to the newest Alphas, and almost everything inbetween (Mac68k, Sun,
etc...).  There are definitely advantages to using SCSI still - like
anything else, it's a matter of 1) requirements, and 2) personal taste.

wojtek@3miasto.net does have a point, tho, that IDE is a viable solution
for many setups, and is usually much cheaper than an equivilent SCSI
system.  I've never seen a big difference between building a kernel on a
recent IDE disk, and a SCSI disk.  Multi-user, heavy load?  Well, that
depends on your requirements, taste, and the $$$ in your bank account ;-)

> and is stable

SCSI is very stable as long as it's done properly.  I've had more troubles
using an Ultra-100 drive reliably at high speeds than using an Ultra-160
LVD drive (actually, I've never had a problem running Ultra-160 -
"just works").  Again, a matter of requirements and taste.

-
Jon
 - The opinions expressed are not necesarily those of my employer.
   "I wonder how many people actually read my .sig?"