Subject: Re: Problems with HDs and VIA Chipsets
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Frank van der Linden <fvdl@wasabisystems.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 04/18/2001 00:18:49
On Tue, Apr 17, 2001 at 10:58:36AM +0200, Christoph Kaegi wrote:

> I am also having Problems with my A7V and 1.5.1Beta.
> 1.5Beta2 runs ok, except gqmpeg locking up every now
> and then.
>
> But when I installed 1.5.1Beta onto wd1, the following
> happened:

[...]

For 1.5.1, UDMA66 was enabled on some chipsets where it wasn't
enabled before.. you may be seeing the effect of that.

VIA chipsets seem to be touchy (or buggy, depending on how you
look at it). They work fine with with pciide and DMA for a lot
of people, but cause major problems for some others. I have
exactly the same revision of the VIA chipset you have, but
on a K7V board, and have not seen any problems whatsoever.
I have seen Linux users say the same on Linux mailing lists.

So not only the revisions of the chipset matter, but also
the board. And the driver can't figure out the board..

- Frank